Monday 11 March 2013

More Snow (11/03/13)...

Awoke today to a wintry scene as everything was covered in snow. One of the reasons I love the winter so much is that it drives birds into the garden in search of food and every now and again you get something unusual. In the fairly harsh winter of 2009 I remember seeing an unusual bird in the garden which turned out to be a male Brambling. I think this encounter is what really kicked started my interest in birds outwith the garden.

Almost every year we get quite a large flock of Chaffinches that visits the garden each Winter and since that encounter in 2009 I always take a few minutes to scan in hope that a Brambling will turn up again. Well today I finally got lucky....again. Opening the curtains around 7.40 this morning and there was already roughly 40 Chaffinches feeding on the extra seed I had scattered on the ground for them knowing that cold weather was on it's way. I took some time to scan through them all and to my surprise I found a nice little female Brambling. It stayed for a few minutes then flew off up into the trees with all the rest of the flock where I lost it. I kept checking throughout the day but I didn't see it again unfortunately but there was the now regular Yellowhammer, Siskin and a handful of Greenfinch mixed in with the Chaffinches to keep me entertained. I didn't manage to get a photo so here is someone elses for a change!

Year List Additions:
88. Brambling

By Arnstein Rønning (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons


2 comments:

  1. Hi from Brazil!
    I loved the name of your blog, sometimes I feel like that either.
    Great pictures!

    Natália

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Natália!

      Thank you very much for your comment. It is amazing to think someone who lives so far away from me has read my blog :)

      Sam

      Delete